About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Sophie's Top 10 Overrated Classics

So, which films do you think are overrated? A few titles, varying from person to person, always come to mind when that perennial question is asked. They might be films that 60 or 70 years on are still known by name at least by most people but that are, in essence, nothing more that exaggerated pieces of fluff (lol, you all know which blustery piece of cinema history I'm talking about.). Or they might be veritable cinematic masterpieces that, whilst the majority of the world fawns over them, you yourself find a little blegh. So please, take this list with a pinch of salt. It's deliberately flippant. There's only one film on this list that I can honestly say I absolutely detest. If you can guess which it is I won't give you a cookie (hint: it's not #1). Also, if you haven't seen some of these films please don't let my opinion of them put you off (not that any of you put such a huge weight on any of my opinions ;D) because I'm not saying these are terrible films (apart from one), I'm saying they're overrated. There's a world of difference. I think. Erm, let's get on with the show...

(Instead of writing long-winded descriptions of why I think they're overrated or why I disliked them, I'm just going to write three words that sum the film up for me. Watch me get less and less witty as the list progresses.)

#10 It's a Wonderful Life, 1946


Overly sentimental mush.

#9 Double Indemnity, 1944


That damn wig.

#8 North by Northwest, 1959


Exciting. Boooooooring. Exciting.

#7 Roman Holiday, 1953

Nauseating chick flick.

#6 The Wizard of Oz, 1939

Utterly, utterly terrifying.

#5 Pyscho, 1960


He killed her (now what?).

#4 West Side Story, 1961


(And the award for the most annoying musical ever goes to): West Side Story.

#3 Casablanca, 1942


Boring, dreary, dull.

#2 Gone With the Wind, 1939

Glorified soap opera.

#1 Citizen Kane, 1941


Everyone adores this?!
---
Feel free to despise me from now on :D But AYYYEEEEAYYY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUUUU! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...