About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Fifteen Movie Questions Meme

Clara over at Via Margutta 51 answered the 15 Movie Questions Meme yesterday, so I decided I would jump on the band wagon and join in the fun!

1.  Movie  you love with a passion.

This is so hard to answer! There are a whole bunch of films that I absolutely adore and can watch over and over again, but I'm going to go with The Sound of Music and Anne of Green Gables

2. Movie you vow never to watch.

I was going to say horror films because (besides a few early horror films) I have never watched one and don't intend to any time soon. However, I'm reluctant to say I'll never watch something, and barring a whole genre of films from my tv screen is pretty stupid. That being said, I can say that without a shadow of a doubt I will never watch the horror that is High School Musical (or any of it's sequels).

3. Movie that literally left you speechless.

Like Clara also said, I don't ever remember being speechless after watching a classic film. Probably the nearest I ever came to being speechless was when I rewatched Titanic (1953) last year, but after a few minutes I just started crying! However, more modern films such as Schindler's List and Sophie's Choice have all left me speechless. 

Come to think of it, there have been some classic films recently that have left me speechless. Splendor In the Grass, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, On the Beach, and The Birds.

4. Movie you always recommend.

Depending on the person, I usually lure them with something they've heard of that isn't too old (ugh, how I detest that word!) and that they've probably heard of aka Breakfast at Tiffany's (cliché, I know. Everyone thinks that it's the epitome of classic Hollywood and every man and his dog has the poster. But it's nevertheless a great film and well worth watching.), The Sound of Music etc. and then throw them The Thin Man, maybe The Quiet Man, and perhaps It Happened One Night. Basically, that is how I try to convert people to classic film. Oh wait, that wasn't the question...


5. Actor/actress you always watch, no matter how crappy the movie.

Deborah Kerr. I suffered through the-film-that-must-not-be-named (*cough*The Gypsy Moths*cough*) because of Deborah. I WAS SCARRED FOR LIFE! I kid you not. Do not watch that film. Ever. It is a travesty against all that is good and Deborah. Fuuuadlkajsd.


6. Actor/actress you don't get the appeal for.

Grace Kelly. I've tried to like her but I just don't understand her appeal. To me, she is the same in every film she appeared in. You could switch her characters in Mogambo and Rean Window for example, and you wouldn't notice any difference. She was just so... beige. Whilst I certainly don't argue that she wasn't a great beauty and a huge fashion icon (and still is today), I'm afraid I just don't find anything about her remotely interesting. Ah well, it's my loss I suppose!

7. Actor/actress, living or dead, you'd love to meet.

Those that are no longer with us: Deborah, Greer, Stany, Audrey, Roz, Helle Virkner, Jean (Simmons), Marlene, Lucille, Irene, Arlene, Errol, Eve, Gregory...

Still living: Eleanor, Glynis, Maureen (I could have been meeting her in June if not for my stupid health!), Celeste, James Garner, Olivia, Joan, Lauren, Peter O'Toole...

8. Sexiest actor/actress you've seen. (Picture required!)

I don't think anyone did sexy in Old Hollywood quite like Gregory Peck and Marlene Dietrich.



9. Dream Cast.

Oh my. To be honest, if Deborah and Greer had made a few films together I would have been beyond happy.  I mean, you can hardly class Julius Caesar as them being in a film together. 

10. Favourite actor pairing.

Last year I did a post about my 10 favourite on-screen couples. It hasn't really changed much, I don't think. Greer and Walter in anything, Roz and Cary in His Girl Friday, Greer and Ronald in Random Harvest, Irene and Cary, Myrna and Bill, Ginger and Fred, Maureen and John, Deborah and Cary, Kate and Spence... so many! 


11. Favourite movie setting.

Anything that takes place out in beautiful countryside is heaven to me. Some of my favourite film settings are the Salzburg and the surrounding areas in The Sound of Music, Prince Edward Island in Anne of Green Gables, Ireland in The Quiet Man, Alabama in Fried Green Tomatoes, and anything set in France or Italy.


12. Favourite decade for movies.

I couldn't really pick, but I tend to watch a lot of films from the '50s. 

13. Chick flick or action movie.

Growing up with two older brothers I have come to appreciate action movies. Not so much action moves which consist of a high speed chases, men with obscenely large muscles bursting out of their t-shirts, and the token "hot" girl, but action films which I would classify first as war films and second as action films. I'm definitely more a fan of more recent action films than the pre-1960 ones. There are a few I like, but on the whole, none of them can really match up to Saving Private Ryan etc..

14. Hero, villain or anti-hero?

Anti-hero.

15. Black and white or colour?

This is an impossible question to answer! I love black and white films and scowl at the people who say "I can't stand black and white films.". I also love colour films. Films like Gone With the Wind, The King and I, Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing etc. wouldn't have been quite the same without their gorgeous colours. 

3 comments:

  1. Great answers, Sophie! We agree in a lot of them :)You're right about 'Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf', it did leave me speechless! Is the "Gypsy Moths" that bad? I haven't seen it yet, but if you don't recommend it being the Deborah fan you are, well, I won't give it an opportunity.

    Uhm, about Grace Kelly. I don't like her in "Mogambo" either, but I do think that she was an interesting presence on screen. Her acting was subtle and she didn't make many movies to prove her real talent (the studios gave her a lot of roles she didn't like), but I really like her in "The country girl" and "Rear Window".

    Keep posting, I love reading your entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds, eh? ;D Oh gosh, YES! It's an atrocity. Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it is, but a couple of my good friends who are also really big Deborah fans both hate it too. It's just such an all round terrible film.

    I think her character in "Mogambo" was just perhaps one of those characters that aren't very likeable. I know I felt much more attachment to Ava's character than Grace's. Oh, I didn't know that about the studios; it seems to be the way with a lot of old hollywood stars.

    Thank you :) Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie Vellenga7 March 2013 at 03:16

    My two most favorite movies of all time are Sound of Music and Anne of Green Gables too!!! We are way too much alike :P I also adore Deborah Kerr and would watch every single movie of hers just to see her beauty!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...