About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Sunday 8 August 2010

Sunday Star - Joan Fontaine

For the fourth post in the "Sunday Star" series, my trusty mouse *cough* decided that the ever-so lovely Joan Fontaine would take centre stage.


Joan (born Joan de Beauvoir de Havilliand on 22 October, 1917) is only known by a lot of people as the younger sister of actress Olivia de Havilland, and, quite frankly, that's sad. I really hate it when people are only remembered as the mother/father/sister/daughter etc. etc. of someone. Joan was so much more than that, and, much as I like Olivia, I'm kind of more in the Joan camp. Having said that, I do sincerely love them both and will happily watch all of their many films.


Now, to sing Joan's praises. Firstly, she takes the best screenshots ever. I kid you not. If you don't believe me, and you should, check these out...





^she even manages to look good mid her "I-am-so-confused-upset-and-disappointed" face. I have many more such screeshots, but these three amply illustrate the fact that she is quite clearly the queen of amazing screenshots. That, my friend, is some skill. (Actually, Lucille Ball screenshots are equally as amazing, but they're a completely different calibre of amazingness...)


So, don't shoot me for this, BUT, I think she was the better looking de Havilland. As long an actress is a genuinely nice person and CAN ACT, though, I couldn't care less! However, I just find Joan's face so much more attractive and interesting. I think she displayed emotion ever so much better than Olivia too.


Anyone who can pull off that^ amazing look is my hero.


I also love Joan's voice and her sense of humour. Her 1954 appearance on What's My Line? is one of my favourite appearances of the entire history of the show. She's so funny and sweet!


EEEEEEP!

This picture is another reason I really adore Joan...


How loveable is that face!? :')


^I think that's such a cute photo! It's from her wedding to Brian Aherne in '39.

So, I may have picked sides in the Bette/Joan feud, but that was different totally different to the Olivia/Joan feud. Bette and Joan weren't sisters, and, I don't know, it's just not the same. I don't hate Joan, I just like Bette a LOT more...and most of the material that I've read on the subject led me to feeling more sympathetic to Bette's side of the story rather than Joan's. I think that, unlike the Bette/Joan feud, the de Havilland feud is really quite sad. I don't know that much about it as I feel like I'm prying whenever I read anything to do with it, but I've honestly tried not to take sides - and I think I've succeeded! So, in honour of both of the sisters, here are a few of my favourite photos of them both...





^The last two must have been taken at the same time. They both look adorable! ♥


"I hope I'll die on stage at the age of 105, playing Peter Pan." ~ Joan Fontaine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...