About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Friday 6 August 2010

Happy Birthday, Lucille!!

Lucille Désirée Ball: 6th August, 1911 - 26th April, 1989


I love Lucy. I really do. And on her birthday, it's only fair that I wish her the hugest happy birthday ever! ;D Also, I've decided to share with you 6 reasons that I love her so much, the same way I did on Stany's birthday!


Reason No. 1

It's the obvious one: she always cheers me up. Of course she makes me laugh when I watch I Love Lucy or The Lucy Show but it's the fact that she always cheers me up whenever I watch her in any of her non-comedic roles that really endears her to me.


Reason No. 2

The fact that she obviously didn't care about not looking perfect all the time. This is one thing that I just really adore in people. The thing is, she did look amazing all the time, whether she was dressed up the nines or...well, looking like she did in the ep. The Quiz Show. (That episode is hilarious :') )


Reason No. 3

This isn't really a reason, but I had to put it in: LUCY AND DESI! Seriously! They were so sweet together, I wish they could have stayed like this forever...


...apparently, when they shot this scene they decided to re-shoot it because they were embarrassed that they'd been emotional and cried in on camera. However, in the cutting room they decided to keep it. How beautiful is that? It makes the scene even more special!


Reason No. 4

Her laugh and her smile. I looked through my [rather large] folder of Lucille photos, and I couldn't find any that displayed her smile just right. The above photo is the nearest I could get...and even that doesn't fully portray the utter infectiousness of her smile. When she smiles, I smile. When she laughs, I laugh. I could make a separate reason for her laugh, but smiles and laughs are connected, so there's not much point. If you love Lucy, you'll know exactly what I mean about her smile and laugh.


Reason No. 5

Her accessibility. She was NEVER distant or aloof, she was always genial. To me, she's like a friend. I can turn to her whenever, and she'll always be there for me. There are some actresses whom I really, really love but I just never have that same connection...they just don't really seem like friends. However, Lucille has, and will, always be my friend. (I'm not mad, honest!)


Reason No. 6

You didn't think I was going to miss out her red hair, did you!? Some of you may know that I adore red hair. I think it's the most beautiful colour of hair in the world, and I will always be sorely disappointed that my hair doesn't even have a tinge of the glorious colour. Many of my favourite actresses were [natural] red heads: Deborah Kerr, Greer Garson and Maureen O'Hara (to name but a few!). Lucille Ball is without a doubt my favourite unnatural ( ;D ) red head! I usually don't think that red hair suits anyone but naturals, but it suited Lucille like no one's business!


Well, there you have my 6 reasons. Why do you love Lucille? I could have gone on forever...

I'll leave you with this photo of Lucille and Desi with their daughter, Lucie, and their son, Desi Arnaz, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...