About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Sunday 11 July 2010

My Favourite Summer Songs

I love summer. Simple as. I never used to, I used to think it was more interesting to 'like' Autumn or Winter best *rolls eyes*, but then I became a S.A.D. sufferer...and spring/summer is very important to me! I've missed a lot of the gorgeous weather this summer, but hopefully I'll still manage to catch some sunshine!

I took my inspiration for this post from Millie at Classic Forever, who posted Moi Je Joue on tumblr yesterday. It's one of my favourite "summer" songs, and made me get the whole light-bulb-above-head thing. So, thanks for the idea Millie! :)

10 of My Favourite Summer Songs

Moi Je Joue - Brigitte Bardot


This is one of my all time favourite songs, and also is the song used in the amazing "Miss Dior Cherie" advert. I didn't know it was possible to have a favourite advert, but it is! ♥ Really though, this song is just so pretty, light and summery...I just adore it!

Moonriver - Audrey Hepburn


If they'd actually gone ahead and had the nerve to dub Audrey in this, I would personally have hunted the culprits down, despite the fact I wasn't born in 1961, and....well, I'll let Sue Sylvester say it for me: "I will buy you a kitty cat, I will let you fall in love with the kitty cat, and then on a cold dark night, I will steal away into your house and punch you in the face." Despite the fact Audrey wasn't the best singer in the world, this song is so full of emotion I feel like I'm going to burst every time I hear it. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard...and it just reminds me a lot of summer! It always brings a bit of sunshine to my day...

O Sole Mio - Mario Lanza


My favourite version of this song is by Nini Rosso, but unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere on youtube. My second favourite version couldn't be embedded, so I chose this one ;D I infinitely prefer it to Pavarotti's version, even though I usually love him. This song makes me so happy, and I've often listened to it to help me sleep :') It feels like it's inside me...running through me, you might say. Anyway, it's another beautiful, summery song!

Summertime - Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald


I adore this song. I love and admire both Louis and Ella greatly, because I'm a trumpet player and I'm a singer (wow, that's sounds really boastful...you know what I mean though...I've sung all my life ;D ). This version is astounding, although I have to admit last year when I played in a big jazz concert, there was an amazing singer there who sang this song with another jazz band...I was crying it was so perfect and beautiful! :')

Girl Put Your Records On - Corrine Bailey Rae


Put simply, I'm in love with this song...and have been since I first heard it about 3 years ago. I love the video too!

Fun Fun Fun - The Beach Boys


As most of the Beach Boys songs are summery, this is just a personal favourite of mine. :) I used to hate The Beach Boys, but now I'm a bit of a fan.

Let's Get Together - Hayley Mills (The Parent Trap)


This is possibly one of the most addicting songs ever...and one of the most addicting films. Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith...what's not too love!? Anyhoo, this song, and the whole film, is just marvellously summery. I watch it far too much :D

What A Wonderful World - Eva Cassidy


This is one of my "deeper" summer songs...meaning, it makes me cry! ;') I do love Louise Armstrong's version, but Eva's version is my favourite. It's such a beautiful summer song...and one day I want to take a long evening walk through fields of tall grass and flowers, and through green, green glades to a gently flowing stream whilst listening to this song.

I also love Vera Lynn's cover of What A Wonderful World but...

A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square - Vera Lynn


As I've said before, I adore Vera Lynn. I especially love listening to her songs in summer, and this is one of my favourites. I've spent far too many evenings than I care to remember sitting at my window listening to this song...and many other Vera songs.

I also love Anne Shelton's cover of this song (it was actually the first version I ever heard when I was tiny...).

It Was A Very Good Year - Frank Sinatra


It's named wrong, but never mind. It's the best one I could find, the rest were terrible quality or not actually him. Gah. Anyway, I love love love love love love love this song! ♥ It fills me with such nostalgia...and ahh, it's just wonderful! I used to play this constantly on the [rather long] journey to band practice last year - I think my Mum may have developed a rather strong hatred for the song! ;D

So, there you go: My 10 Favourite Summer Songs. Well, they're only the first 10 that came to mind, there are many more! I hope you enjoyed them! :)

A presto! :)


Oh, hello there, Greer!

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! SO FREAKY!

    Almost every single one of these are in my personal summer mix! :-O

    Anyway, I love this post! So many perfect and happy and summery songs!

    Wait, you sing and play the trumpet along with speaking 28 languages!?

    SHEESH!

    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely songs. Commenting my faves: I hadn't heard the one by Brigitte, but as the McDonald ad says, 'I'm lovin' it', and the commercial is soooo happy and refreshing :) Obviously I love "Moon River", Audrey did the ultimate rendition of it; "Summertime" is great, wasn't George Gershwin a marvelous composer?; the one from "The parent trap" is so happy too (I have to see that movie!). Thanks for sharing. Oh, I have a series of posts of happy old songs if you wanna check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Millie - AHAHAHA! We are like kindred spirits or something (I love saying that...it makes me feel like Anna of Green Gables (': )

    It's because we have good taste! ;D

    HAHAHA, can you imagine if I actually did speak 28 languages...what I could not do! I could be the ruler of the world...well, maybe not, but yeah... ;D

    @Clara - Hahaha, I'm glad you're 'lovin' it' ;D Ooh, I'm going to check out your post! :) Thanks for the link! For some reason it hadn't shown up on my feed! :O

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...