About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Friday 18 June 2010

Songs That Won the War


There are countless compilations with the name Songs That Won The War, and yes, I do own several of them!

I guarantee that you'll find the following songs on anything to do with the songs of World War II. Not that I mind, I love them all! I grew up on them - and I thought everyone knew We'll Meet Again, but I was sadly proven wrong.

We'll Meet Again (Vera Lynn's version, of course!)
When The Lights Go On Again
(There'll Be Blue Birds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Run Rabbit, Run
and
Yours


I also thought even if they'd never heard any of her songs, everyone knew who Vera Lynn was. Once again...I was let down by my fellow human beings.

For many years, songs from the war years (well, around those years...) were the only songs I would listen to. The lyrics actually mean something, unlike the mostly vacuous lyrics of today's music. I do listen to contemporary music now, but I keep at a healthy balance! Sometimes, I just like to sit and listen to Vera Lynn pouring her whole heart and soul into We'll Meet Again (which I love to listen to as it reminds me of my Grandma), the Andrew Sisters' lovely, bright voices in Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy or Gracie Field's jolly voice in Sally. It gives me a feeling of peace and calm - I feel at one with the past, just for a few special minutes.


I was going to make a longer post, but I don't feel up to it. Sorry! I'll definitely be posting more on this topic some other time, though.

A presto!

5 comments:

  1. I was supposed to sing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in a Remembrance of the USO show. But I got sick. I'm going to be listening to all these suggestions! I love songs from the war years and around the war years. They make me happy! I listen to them a lot. Recently I don't have a healthy balance of the old and the new, but I don't really try either. I listen to a lot of the 40s stuff and a lot of 60s and 70s.. and John Williams. I love the Andrew Sisters. I have several of their albums, and yesterday I got a bunch of Bing Crosby... ok done rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who are run rabbit run and yours by please? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh by the way it is libby here (I used to have a blog travelling my path but I had to change it when I deleted my email address so have a new one now) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Resa - Aw, I bet you were really disappointed! I would be! Around where I live we have quite a few WWII themed days/weekends, and one of my goals is to be able to sing at one of them when I'm well enough!
    Haha, well I think mine has just become a healthy balance on it's own - if I like a song, I like it...I don't really care whether it's old or new anymore! I suppose I'm just easily pleased...

    @Libby - Run Rabbit Run is sung by Flanagan and Allen; and Yours is sung by Vera Lynn (:
    (I'm presuming you mean the singers, not the writers! If not...oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I love John Williams too! <3 He's amazing! I could listen to his soundtracks forever...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...