About My Year in Film The Stars Reviews Contact Image Map

Monday 31 May 2010

Introducing My Love of the 20's-50's.

Hello there! (:

So, today I thought I'd introduce you to my love of the 20's - 50's. Despite the fact that I wasn't there for any of those 40 years, they hold a rather large place in my heart. In fact, I'm passionately attached to them.

I love anything to with the 20's and up to the early 60's. One of my main obsessions is the films and actors/actresses of those years. This started with my obsession with the lovely Deborah Kerr (1921 - 2007)...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

She's most famous for playing opposite Yul Brynner in The King and I:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

...and for kissing Burt Lancaster in the surf in the iconic film From Here To Eternity:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

However, having seen almost all of her 44 films (some of them are extremely hard to track down and very expensive, unfortunately), I can assure you that almost all of her other films are just as amazing. They're all my favourites really, I couldn't possibly pick just one.

As Deborah's years in film were mainly the 40s and 50s, I began to watch lots and lots of films from those two decades. After a while, as well as watching the films, I began reading film stars autobiographies and biographies. The one that sticks out most is Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud by Shaun Considine. I don't know when I have enjoyed reading a book so much. I honestly couldn't put it down. Maybe it's just because I'm a very nosey person, but I enjoyed it like no one's business! Anyway, if you are a fan of either Bette Davis or Joan Crawford (I would say 'and/or' but I'm not sure anyone likes both of them. I am proud to say I'm on Team Bette!), it's a must read! You can buy it on Amazon for as little as £1.25 - get yourself over there!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I also started moving on to fields that were relatively new to me. I discovered Jean Harlow...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

...who tragically died in 1937, aged 26, whilst filming Saratoga with Clark Gable. As the film was nearly finished Jean's body and voice doubles were used for the remaining scenes, and it was released as planned.

I love love love Jean. She was the original platinum blonde (yes, that's right. Marilyn Monroe wasn't the first. Neither did she rock the look as well as the first, in my honest opinion) and a wonderful actress. She was stylish, beautiful and a real character!

I don't really have time (or energy) to type any more today - and I did say 'introduce'!! So, you've had your introduction, but it's definitely not the last you'll hear on the subject. I'll probably continue in this vein tomorrow as I enjoy talking about it...and that's what a blog is for, right?

A presto!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Deborah Kerr. I am the same as you. Love movies from that time. I am so going to buy that feud book :) Thanks for the suggestion. Weren't the stars in those days so glamourous? I mean, celebs today are glamourous but back then it was a different type of glamour. Beautiful! *builds time machine to transport us two there*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I'm so happy to find another Deborah lover! (: Isn't she just wonderful? I totally have about 500 photos of her on one of my walls!! The rest are covered with my other favourites about whom I shall write today or tomorrow, probably. (:
    Enjoy! I haven't read it for a couple of years now, but I remember enjoying it so, so much. I knew they strongly disliked each other, but...wow. (;
    Ah, well, I rate some of today's celebs as glamorous - but they /all/ had glamour back in the day. Also, a lot of the 'glamorous' celebs of today are just ripping off the original styles of Clara Bow, Louise Brooks, Jean Harlow, Greta Garbo, Rita Hayworth, and, of course, Audrey Hepburn. No one can really match them.
    Haha, rant over. Oh, and I sooo wish time travel were possible!! I'd be back there in a flash!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...